Author Topic: virtual controller  (Read 897 times)

Offline darkcloud99

virtual controller
« on: December 28, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »
hello, first off I just want to say that I'm not using your product for its original purpose. I am disabled and have limited movement in my hand so using a PS3 controller is impossible. I read a story about how someone sent up your virtual controller program to work with Dragon dictate and give their son control over their PS3. I followed his steps exactly and it worked perfectly. I know that this is not what the PS3 IR 1000 was made for, but I just wanted to say thank you for giving someone like me a chance to play a console again.

Here is my setup. I have a 26 inch Toshiba TV with my PC, PS3, and cable box hooked up to it. I bought a 8 inch Samsung digital picture frame that has a secondary monitor option. I  connected that to my PC so that I could display DragonDictate, the PS3 virtual controller, and the macros on the virtual BD remote. That way I have the PS3 running through my TV, while also having my PC display those programs on a secondary monitor beside my TV.

Now here are some questions I have for you. The one thing that obviously is lacking on the virtual controller program is analog sticks. I know the reason for this is because Sony was too lazy to program them on their blue Ray remotes. My question is how hard was it be for someone to program the analog stick signals to work with the PS3 IR 1000 and the virtual controller? I know it's purpose is to convert IR signals to Bluetooth signals, but would there be a way to send a pure Bluetooth signal to the PS3 with the analog stick commands. Having a analog stick would greatly improved the number of games people with disabilities could play. I could use the mouse to work the analog sticks to move the character while using my voice to press buttons. I know that it's possible because there is a YouTube video of someone using their voice to control analog sticks movements. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c34SiWx8rKo

Another thing I am wondering is would it be possible to have the programmed macros on the virtual blue Ray remote included in the virtual controller. The reason I am asking this is because I have macros programmed for different games and it would be simpler if I could use my voice to activate the macros instead of using the mouse to click it. I seem to be having issues with the button duration option in the macro settings. I recently downloaded marvel pinball and I programmed a macro to hold the X button for 2 seconds, so that it will release the ball from the plunger on the pinball table. But for some reason it is not registering with the game. I'm not sure what it could be because it works for other games like hot shots golf.

I noticed that when you change that button duration on one macro, it changes it for all of them. That causes a lot of problems with certain games where I use more then one macro.
Is there any way to program one macros duration without affecting all the others?

I think that is everything I wanted to ask. I know that is a lot of questions to ask you, especially when you're product is supposed to help people program there remotes with their PS3, not help people with disabilities play games. It's just, there is nothing like your product out there for people like us and that is pretty sad. Again, I just want to thank you for giving me the chance to use a console after five years of not being able to. Any response and help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: virtual controller
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:44:28 AM »
Glad to hear you are able to use the PS3IR-1000 to play games. You are right, it isn't designed for this but we get a kick out of this application. It's always great to hear back that you designed something useful. It's not always all about the $$$.

The biggest issue is that our device emulates the BD remote which doesn't include support for analog sticks. So there is nothing to tie into. We would need to implement the controller input device which is expensive for us since we don't do the BT part in house.

I will put some thought into the analog sticks. There should be another way to go that I can fit within an existing product development. I already have some ideas.

We do have a new WiFi product in the works that might be more likely candidate. It has an expansion port that I could see making a USB controller emulator that plugs into the PS3. I built a PS3 controller emulator when the PS3 first came out so I already have code for this application.

The new device has a built-in web server that is easily loaded with content via USB since it looks like a USB memory stick. I assume Dragon Dictate works well with web browsers. That way you could actually have a completely different user interface for each game. All you would need is to create some HTML and CSS, maybe a tiny bit of Java script also. The idea being that you can do anything you can imagine and simply map it to the controller commands. The PS3 will think it is getting input from one of their controllers so all games would work.

I would probably need to do the first one to demonstrate the way it would work. But ultimately, I would step out of the way and let the community build whatever they want with our device. I would be OK with hosting a forum just for this so you can share your setups and all that. I would think there are some people with disabilities out there that can really spin out the web content faster and better than I can. And they have a better insight into what is needed.

I will inject a dose of reality here though. I am seriously loaded up with more than I can get done as it is. So, this may not happen quickly. It's a longer term idea. I suspect that I will sneak in some work on this anyway since it is very compelling to me. We'll see.  ;D

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: virtual controller
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
Also, while it is true that the default key duration is global, the duration of each key can be set individually by providing a duration value that overrides the global default.

When you have the macro step highlighted simply use the right arrow to move to the step time edit field and type in the step time in 1/10 seconds. For example, enter <2.1> for 2.1 seconds. It's that simple.

Enjoy!