Author Topic: Device loses pairing  (Read 1481 times)

Offline jimbodude21

Device loses pairing
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:45:21 AM »
Sometimes the 1000 loses its pairing with the PS3.  I have to turn the PS3 on with either a controller (via wireless works fine for controllers) or by the power button, and re-pair the device.  Once re-paired, everything works great.

I haven't found a cause for losing pairing yet.  Sometimes the pair stays good for a day or two, sometimes only a few hours.  I wonder if it has something to do with the other bluetooth devices in the same room (cell phone and PC), since the 1000 seems to try to pair with my computer when it is not paired with the PS3 and receives an IR command.  As soon as an IR command is received, I get a connection request on my computer if the 1000 is not paired with the PS3.  I have never lost pairing or had similar behavior from the PS3 controllers.

I have the 1000 powered by USB from a computer, it is always powered on.  The power sense cable is connected to the PS3.  The PS3 is always plugged in, and as far as I know there have been no power outages.

I've owned the 1000 since late December 2009, and have not done any firmware upgrades.  The PS3 is up to date with whatever the latest version is.

Any ideas about what would cause this behavior?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: Device loses pairing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:50:23 AM »
Jimbo,

I would strongly recommend a firmware upgrade for your PS3IR-1000.

Has this pairing problem always been a problem or is it a recent issue?

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline jimbodude21

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
Ok, I will try to update the firmware this week and let you know how that goes. Is this a known issue?

This may have been an issue previously, but it seems to have gotten much more frequent.  It may be because I've been using it more, or it may be related to the additional bluetooth devices that I've gotten recently.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »
By design, the PS3IR-1000 will try to pair with any Bluetooth device that's in pair mode. Once it pairs, a record of the pairing is made on the paired device (such as the PS3). In your case, it may have to do with the additional Bluetooth devices you have, which may be in pair mode and that's confusing the PS3IR-1000.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline jimbodude21

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »
I've upgraded the firmware, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.  Nice software by the way - I hadn't used it before.

If the device is getting confused as you say, perhaps a feature to limit it to one MAC address would be useful?  I can only see this becoming a larger problem as more people start to use bluetooth phones and mouses and keyboards...

I don't think any of my Bluetooth devices are in discoverable mode, but I will check.

Offline jlipsit

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:38:12 PM »
My unit would loose pairing after I updated the software in the PS3. However a software update of the PSIR-1000 seemed to have corrected the problem for me.

Offline jimbodude21

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:42:13 PM »
The issue was not related to a PS3 software update.  I lost pairing several times in one day without any software changes.

I've updated the PS3IR, and the PS3 is also up to date.  I have not had time to use either recently, but when I do I will report back.

Offline greatgreek

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
I am also experiencing this problem.  I received my PS3IR-1000 last week - I ran the configuration software and it reported that the device had the latest firmware installed.  My PS3 (slim) has ver 3.50 software installed.

Since hooking everything up, about 50% of the time I have to use the PS3 remote to turn on the PS3, and repair the PS3IR-1000 with the PS3, after which everything works fine.  I don't have any other bluetooth devices on the PS3, although I do have a bluetooth keyboard in use with my media center PC which is in the same room.

Seeing as how I bought this device mainly for the power on and off features, this problem is frustrating to say the least.

Offline greatgreek

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
Just wanted to update.  Schmartz provided excellent customer support in attempting to diagnose my issue.  When that didn't work they authorized a return and within a couple weeks I had a new unit which so far works great.

Excellent customer support and quick turnaround.

Offline auricle

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
About a week ago I acquired a PS3IR-1000.  After programming my iPronto (code set D) to control my new PS3 for my home theater, all seemed to work well.  I did not hook up Power Sensing nor did I hook up the external IR input.  But thenů

I soon noticed that after a day or so the PS3IR seemed not to work.  I too soon discovered that my PS3IR regularly drops its pairing with my PS3.  Simply re-pairing with the PS3 using the PS3's game controller is not usually enough.  I first have to connect the PS3IR to my computer and hit the Restore button and reselect Code Set D.

This is getting annoying.  Any help would be appreciated. The PS3IR firmware showing in the utility is 1.7.

Thanks.

Richard.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
Are there any other Bluetooth devices which might interfere with the PS3IR-1000?

Also, the Bluetooth on the PS3 sometimes gets in a funny state.  Yes, that is the technical term, funny state.  When that happens, power off the PS3 and unplug the power cable.  Wait a few minutes and power the PS3 back on.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz Support