Author Topic: How to get rid of key repeats?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline jsharpe

How to get rid of key repeats?
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
I just installed a PS3IR-1000 on a PS3 running version 3.3, and it works fine when controlled manually with the ps3ir1kutil program.  For example one click on the menu right button moves the PS3 main menu interface one icon to the right.  However, when controlled with a Nevo-Q50/Nevo-Connect with a direct IR interface to the PS3IR-1000 I get many multiples of "clicks".  For example, one short press of the menu right button on the remote scrolls past many PS3 menu icons.  It's like there is a large repeat value with no initial delay, but I've not found where either of these have might have been set (I'm using Nevo Studio Pro v 3.0.0.562).  I've tried the Nevo Schmartz database values, the Hex Codes from the spreadsheet posted here, as well as learning the the commands from the PS3IR-1000, all with the same result.  I've also tried using the front IR interface instead of the direct interface cable, but that also made no difference.  Also the problematic repeating behavior does not occur with any other devices controlled by the remote, only the PS3IR-1000.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and if so what did you do to correct it? 

p.s. In a search of these forums I did find one old question regarding a similar issue with double key hits but no response and my symptoms are much worse than just a double key response, it's many repeats per key press.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:26:06 AM by jsharpe »

Offline jdklein001

Re: How to get rid of key repeats?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
im having the same problem. Everything worked fine until a month ago. the any cursor command seemed to respond like I held it down. IE one touch to the left sent it all the way left. in the pronto edit software I reduced the duration of the command from default to .01 sec but that hasn't fixed it. i just tried re-learning the codes from the ps3ir utility and still the same problem..  maybe a different codeset will work

perhaps unrelated: around that same time I noticed discrete on stopped working

anyone else have any ideas??

Offline jsharpe

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »
I actually had two units.  Even though they were programmed identically via the utility program and I had forced a reload of the firmware by flashing back to v1.4 and then reloading v1.6, one unit exhibited the repeating behavior and the other one did not.  I verified this by switching the units between two different installations using different remotes.  The bad behavior moved back and forth with the one specific Schmartz unit. 

Schmartz customer support was very helpful and requested I return the affected device for repair or replacement, which I have done.  Given that the other unit works great, my expectations are high that the one I get back will be fine as well.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:20:52 PM »
Js,

Your fixed unit is on its way back to you.

Jd,

Have you tried updating to firmware version 1.7?

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline eulaersivan

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »
I just received my unit and programmed my remote. I'm experiencing the same problem: when I click the left button, the menu goes from right to left in one time. I am unable to select the third menu item.

How should this be solved?

Regards - Ivan

Offline jsharpe

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:20:17 PM »
Just as a followup, my replacement unit is working great.  Not sure what they did but the repeats are gone.  Yea!

Offline eulaersivan

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:14:13 AM »
Should I also have to change my current unit? I've bought it through Amazon. Replacing would be costly (due to international shipping) so I was hoping that there would be another fix.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »
Ivan,

The first step would be to make sure that you have the latest firmware installed on your device. If you haven't already done it, please upgrade the firmware to the latest version using the software utility. Then check the timing settings on the Macro window and make sure they are right. You can reset them to the factory settings using the software utility.

Are you using a repeater or extender?

Also, are the batteries in your remote fresh? This can sometimes cause key repeats.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline eulaersivan

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »
I am using an IR transmitter irtrans. I'll check my settings and let you know.

Offline eulaersivan

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 01:16:24 PM »
I've checked the settings and disconnected my IR transmitter. Now I've pointed a regular IR remote to the PS3IR-1000 and learned my IR remote the buttons left and right.

However, when I point the IR remote to the PS3IR-1000 and push the left button, all menu items are skipped and the menu goes from the far right to the far left. Same issue for the right button. So it has nothing to do with the IR transmitter.

Have you already been able to review this issue and come with an update or any other solution?

Tx for your help.

Ivan

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
Ivan,

Download the software utility from the Downloads section on our website. Launch the application, connect the PS3IR-1000 to your computer and make sure the software says it's connected OK. On the first tab (Settings), press the "Restore" button for "Factory Settings". Unplug the PS3IR-1000 to reset it. Try it again to see if the repeat issue is solved and let us know.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline eulaersivan

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »
SOLVED by restoring the factory settings.

Tx for the support

Ivan

Offline bmcfee

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:53:52 PM »
FWIW, I just installed a new PS3IR-1000 and had the same problem. Fortunately after several copy/pastes, and then trying learning the commands, and after pulling a few clumps of hair out of my head, I found this forum entry. Factory reset, power off, and boom, all is well.

Why would this be necessary on a brand new unit?

Offline tigercat

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »
I had the same problem but thanks to this topic I could solve!
My PS3IR-1000 was purchased 28/Dec and just arrived 2/Jan today.
Its firmware version was already 1.7 out of box.

If you meet this problem, follow these steps to fix!

1. Connect your PS3IR-1000 to the PC with genuine USB cable.
2. Run "PS3IR-1000 Utility V1.7"
2.1. Make sure the utility shows "Device connected" in the bottom of left.
2.2. Make sure the utility shows "Firmware V1.7 - Device OK" in the bottom of right.
(If the version was lower, please update the firmware of your PS3IR-1000.)
2.3. Click [Restore] button in the lower middle of right to reset to the factory settings.
2.4. Make sure the utility shows "Settings restored to factory values." in the bottom of right.
2.5. Close the utility with clicking [X] icon in the top of right.
3. Disconnect your PS3IR-1000 from the PC to power down.
4. Wait about 30 sec.
5. Connect your PS3IR-1000 to the PC again.
6. Run "PS3IR-1000 Utility V1.7"
6.1. Make sure the utility shows "Device connected" in the bottom of left.
6.2. Restore your own settings manually. (c.f. "Code Set" ...)
6.3. If it is all done, close the utility with clicking [X] icon in the top of right.
7. Now it's time to test to see the problem solved!!
8. Disconnect your PS3IR-1000 from the PC and you know what to do after that ...

That's all.
Thanks.