Author Topic: What's the easiest way to power on / off my PS3 using a Sony RM-VL1000?  (Read 709 times)

Offline starrman

I currently have a Sony RM-VL1000 and was able to use the arrows, select (enter), play, pause, stop, next chapter, and previous chapter functions successfully so far on my PS3 using a DVD code supplied by Sony.

I'm almost there! The only thing I need to figure out is how to learn the commands onto the remote for the power on and power functions since the DVD power functions didn't seem to work. The RM-VL1000 didn't have anything mentioning in their list for Playstation2.

I've been looking online for PS2 DVD IR remotes online and figured I'd just buy one and learn those commands from there, but they all don't seem to show any power off or power on buttons on them. What's the easiest way for my particular remote to program or learn the power functions so I can turn on / off my PS3 using the PS3IR-500 without resorting to paying extra for the PS3IR-1000?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: What's the easiest way to power on / off my PS3 using a Sony RM-VL1000?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »
The Discrete Off codes is specific to our products, and most likely you won't find it in any pre-programmed family of codes. The easiest way would be to borrow from a friend a remote capable of learning (or being programmed with) the Discrete Off codes, then teach it to your remote.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline starrman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:05:47 PM »
I ended up going to Toys R Us and getting the PS2 DVD remote for like $10 that had the Open/Close button and Reset button. I tested the Reset button on the PS2 remote and it works fine turning on the PS3 using the PS3IR-500 when I press it for under a second.

Surprisingly when I attempt to turn off the PS3 with the same button, it shows the controller icon  (designated as #7) with a full battery charge icon on the upper-right hand corner of the screen when pressed for under a second. When I keep the Reset button down for about 3 seconds, it then prompts me to either turn off the system or turn off the controller.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I have the older PS3 (the one that's able to play PS2 games). After pressing the Reset button for about 3 seconds, it prompts...
"Turn Off the System" (highlighted by default)
"Turn Off the Controller"

After selecting X or Enter on the "Turn Off the System" option, it verifies again...
"Do you want to turn off the system?"
X or Enter is selected again to power the system off.

Doesn't the PS3IR-500 have a additional built-in Discrete Off macro that will power off the PS3 from any scenario (game, movie, XMB) with a single IR command? If so, which PS2 IR command is it so I can transmit it to my learning remote so there won't be a need to stand there holding the remote while the PS3 powers off? If it does include a macro to already do this, I don't think my unit has it.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:43:44 AM by starrman »

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
Starrman,

Again, the Discrete Off code is specific to our products, and most likely you won't find it in any pre-programmed family of codes. This includes the PS2 remote. The green button on the PS2 remote is actually the PS Key in our family of codes. Thats' why you get that menu.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.