Author Topic: Problems after updating PS3Slim (3.01 to 3.1) with updater  (Read 2049 times)

Offline win

Problems after updating PS3Slim (3.01 to 3.1) with updater
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:28:03 AM »
Before the PS3-update my device was working fine. Now there are problems I want to eliminate with an update of the PS3IR-PRO. My OS is Windows Vista SP2. It seems the hardware has been installed, because no new hardware is detected any longer. But the Bootloader reports
"HID Device Count [ 0]
CYUSB Device Count [ 0]"

What's wrong? What is the name of the device in the hardwaretable- I want to delete it and start new?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: Problems after updating PS3Slim (3.01 to 3.1) with updater
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
Could you please be more specific when you write "now there are problems"? What exactly are you experiencing?

To get the PRO in update mode, press "1" on your remote within ten seconds of powering the PRO. Make sure the PRO device is selected on your remote. You won't get a "New Hardware Found" prompt unless you press "1" on your remote. After installing the drivers, the PRO shows up under USB Controllers as "Schmartz BOOTLOADER".

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline win

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
The Problems are:

Directly after the update I had only control by the remote for few minutes, the PS3-controller has been working. After power off/on the PS3 has lost the controller and the remote. Both must be paired again. After that the PS3 has lost the remote again and there have been problems detecting the controller. Only the keyboard was not influenced. So I decided to update the PRO. It seems that the hardware has been detected but may be the installation was not proper. Connecting the PRO to USB an pressing "1" results in a short sound  but the device is not listed by the devicemanager.

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
Win - you might be experiencing what I do...but not to influence you, can you detail the steps you take when you power on the PS3 and when you lose control of the IR remote and the game controller. I'm just curious.

ex.

1) Power on PS3 with IR remote.
2) After xxx seconds, I lose control of the PRO with remote.
etc.
etc.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:56:13 PM »
Dogdoctor, did you get the chance to power off the PS3 completely by unplugging the power cable? Win, try the same procedure. I believe the issue is caused by the Bluetooth stack getting corrupt. To reset it, the PS3 must be completely powered off, not just shut down. That means unplugging the power cable.

Win, if I understand it correctly, Vista has restrictions about which drivers it installs. I wonder if that's the issue. Also, do you know what firmware version is currently on your PRO?

It occurs to me that when I tested the new Sony firmware, I did not have a PRO paired with the PS3. I did the firmware update, then power-cycled the PS3. After that I paired the PRO, tested it for a while, then tested our other devices. I wonder if this is why I don't see any issues.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »
Romeo.

I did not get a chance to check that yet. But you must be right. I Turned the PS3 on last night via the console itself. Turned on controller and it paired just fine. After 6 hours turned of the PS3 via the controller and went to bed. This morning, I turned on the PS3 with the controller and yes it started the PS3, but then the controller went straight to 4 flashing lights and unresponsive. (Connecting with USB = temporary pairing. Remove from USB and it returns to flashing state).

And yes, I did have mine paired when I did the 3.10 update. If the power cycling doesn't work. I'll try removing the PRO, and then adding it back in.

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
My Problem Solved!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »
Dogdoctor, did you get the chance to power off the PS3 completely by unplugging the power cable? Win, try the same procedure. I believe the issue is caused by the Bluetooth stack getting corrupt. To reset it, the PS3 must be completely powered off, not just shut down. That means unplugging the power cable.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.
Romeo - Problem Solved!

Ok....

I did as you asked. And guess what. It still didn't work. I unplugged the PS3 3 times for a minute each and each time I would pair a (game) controller it would work, that is until, about the 3rd or 4th turning on the PS3 the (game) controller would just go to 4 flashing lights and USB pairing would only allow the controller to work while connected. So, no matter how many times I did this (3) the end result was the same. Mind you I had the PRO disconnected all the time during this test.

So...

How can one undo a pairing a remote or better yet restore the BT software stacking? A PS3 Restore System Defaults.

3 Seconds later I began to reenter all my prior settings for: Network, Video, Audio, BD, Music, PSN ID info, and.... I repaired my BT headset, and keyboard. What a pain. But you said that you connected the PRO after 3.1 not before....and that got me thinking.

After I did all that, came the moment of truth. I turned the PS3 off and back on with the (game) controller. Went to register a BT Remote Control. The PS3 paired without an issue. PowerOFF (IR) = Perfect shutdown of the PS3.

Holding the IR remote control I pressed the PS button = PS3 powers on, and I press X to login and it logs in seamlessly. Sweet! I turn on the (game) controller by pressing the PS button and it connects. Hallelujah, the PRO is back in business.

Moral of my Sony 3.1 FW story: Reset the BT settings of the PS3 and repair the PRO = fully functional PRO and no BT issues. Yes!

Offline win

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 03:56:55 AM »
Hello Romeo, hello Dogdoctor,

I have tried also with success. After multiple pairing the controller and the PRO it works :P. I did also the repowering of the PS3.

Thanks for all the hints.

There is still the poblem with my update-procedure. But this will be a question in the future if I really need it. Then I will first try to update the PRO with an XP-OS. Now that it works I lay back and listen to my music.

Greatings from Germany

Offline win

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 03:28:00 AM »
No, no , no - it's not over.

Yesterday late at night I'd switched on with the PRO. PS3 came up but didn't accepted the remote.

Also the controller and the keyboard have been without function. Connecting the controller via USB, delete the keyboard from Bluetoothdevices and pairing the controller again let the controller work but the remote was dead.  So I'd powered down with the Controller and went to bed. Today in the morning I'd tried to continue. I'd switched on my equipment with the remote and - surprise, surprise- the PS3 comes up and followed the remote. Newstart also don't makes problems until now. I can't see a logical pattern.

Additional Question: I don't know the version of my PRO. Can I make a mistake, if I update the PRO with the last version while it is allways on the PRO?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Win,

There is no problem if you update the PRO and it already has the latest firmware.

I'm puzzled by the behavior you describe. Can you outline the steps involved so that we can reproduce the problem here in the lab? I tried pairing a PRO, then updating to the latest version and that caused no problems for me. Perhaps because it wasn't on a Slim model. The Slim model we have is already updated, and that went without problems as well.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline win

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Hello Romeo,

in a german forum SONY-PS3Slim-users are reporting many problems after updating to 3.1. Some have problems with the controllers in the same manner - others have problems with BD. But I have no idea what I can tell you at this time, because it is not determind. It seems to be a random behavior.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 09:12:23 PM »
Win,

It would not be the first time a firmware update messed things up on the PS3. Eventually they'll release a fix. Hopefully before too long.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:22 PM »
Yeah I found the same thing today. Sometimes it boots up just fine. Sometime it boots to the loading screen and then just drops all BT connectivity (Pro or Controller). You are just stuck looking at the choose your user screen. All I do is unplug the PRO, poweroff the PS3 with the button on the console and reboot with the PRO. It works every time. But it's a pain in the arse. So it's not just the PRO affected as it seems all BT devices connected to the slims are having off and on errors. But mainly its a Slim BT problem post 3.1 (sorry for blaming the PRO earlier).

Romeo - try using the PRO 3 to 4 times a day on your slim (at random times). See it any at all will give the symptoms we are seeing.

Here is the main thread at the PS US Boards.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:25:39 PM by dogdoctor »

Offline win

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 03:56:43 AM »
May be I've found a workaround.

Since the contoller ist connected via USB without disconnecting the system is without errors since the last 2 days. I do not use the controller so now the problem is minor.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:30:19 AM by win »

Offline win

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 06:32:30 AM »
it works the 5th day 8)

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
SONY FW 3.15 (optional update - aka must ask PS3 to scan for it) Is Out!

It was released last night and was released to fix among other things, the BT sync error. It is not a forced update, so you will have to ask the PS3 to search for new FW before it will promt you to update. It was small and quick and seems to do the trick. But a true test will come in 4 to 5 days form now if the problem has yet to return.

Offline win

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »
I have also updated to 3.15 and ist seems that SONY has fixed the problem.