Author Topic: PS3 Slim and Power off Marco issues  (Read 2494 times)

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
PS3 Slim and Power off Marco issues
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »
Hey Question...

I've used the PRO since it came out with my 60gb "Fat" PS3 without any issues at all.
I downgraded to the Slim the first week in Sept and I have had problems since.

The PRO paired just fine with the slim and works with all the functions, except the power off marco. It's a hit or miss. About 50 to 75% of the time it will not shut down on first pass (but the command is executed). When you turn the "activity" (using Harmony 880) back on you see the PRO did it's macro, but missed the starting (PS button hold) (ie. a game or song or video will be launched with the press of the "x" button). When you run the power off the second time it seem to function 100% of the time. My next test I should have run is just turning off without using the activity button (this will eliminate and error in signal transmission through remote macros). I will do that tonight.

But has anyone else experience this. It just seems that it was working fine with the "fat" and all I did was swap it out for a Slim. I never changed any activity info in the Harmony remote. It just seems that the slim is ultra sensitive to the PS button hold timing and it might need to be extended just a fraction to ensure the Slim gets it before attemting to executing the rest of the BT macro of ups and downs and "x".   

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
Re: PS3 Slim and Power off Marco issues
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:15:07 PM »
So that last 2 nights. I've shut down the Slim using just the poweroff command (not using the Harmony off cascade of turing off all devices still on) and it has turned off each time without a glitch. So last night for good measure I turned the PS3 back on and did run the Harmony off sequence and it still turned off fine. I will play around with it some more....so far the off sequence seems fine so maybe its a delay setting I need to tweak in Harmony for my remote that I don't have right for the slim.

Although it wouldn't be the first time where I actually had a command get corrupted and I needed to delete an activity and device to get it to work properly. Thank god for technical support as I was going mad why my TV would never get to the right input (only when the PS3-PRO) was in that activity. That has all been fixed, but this off issue with the slim is annoying, but I haven't seen it in the last 2 nights.  ;D

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 01:47:41 PM »
Ok..well i now think this is an error with the pro.

I use the harmony to start the PS3 (activity).
Leaving in on the PSN login screen I press the "poweroff" command. The Pro immediately starts to work, by dropping the menu by three places and pressing X. So rather than power down I login as another user.

So I hit the PS button to reactivate the Pro. I press the poweroff again and this time the sequence shots down properly.

I did this 5 times with the same result. The first time the power off was executed, if misfired. The second time, no issue. That was what I was seeing in the power off  "off" button press on the harmony or changing activities. Ironically I did it 5 more times and it shut down perfect the next 5. I don't get why the Pro and the Slim are not liking one an other in the power off sequence.

It also doesn't seem to be consistent. If I make one button press on the Pro after start up it seems that it will nearly always shut down on the first try. However, if I don't it seems to power off 50% of the time (see above).

You can see the Pro get the power off command, it just seems to completely misexecute it on the Slim. I do think it may be the first part of the power off sequence timing might have just been shifted some with the Slim.

Can Schmartz confirm?

If not fixable, I will be looking to trade in the Pro for the 500.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:49:45 PM by dogdoctor »

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »
We'll look into this Monday and report back.

Romeo Denghel
Schmarz, Inc.

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
Note: I'm running 1.4 firmware I believe. It was whatever firmware was on the unit when it was sent to me as a recall of the first batches that could not update firmware on the PC.

Also please run the test on the slim a number (a lot) of times. I shut it down last night after a movies and some PSN messages and it turned off just fine. So aggravating. Because now you've go to sit there and make sure it shuts down, and if it doesn't you need to be sure you didn't get into a function that a power down could be harmful to PS3 data (games saves).

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »
OK, did a little detective work.

It seems after you start up the PS3 that it still asks you to press the PS button to connect a controller. Shouldn't the PRO be paired already. I only ask, because I've paid a little more attention to the actions of the controller. It would see that, if you don't use the PRO for some time that it becomes un-synched to the Slim. Example, start up PS3, start game play game for extended period of time, exit game and go to navigate the XMB with the PRO. The first button press has major delay. It would appear as the PRO is resyching with the PS3. This would explain the power off macro failure. Each time it fails, it fails because it doesn't register the PS button press at the beginning.

Therefore it would appear that first PS resynchs the PRO, but then it leaves the up, down, "X" commands to be executed in what ever menu you are in.

This may be why it doesn't occur all the time for me, only the times that it loses synch?

Have you guys run into any issues yet. I know you were looking into it.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »
We did a little detective work of our own.

The PS3 Slim has "improved" power saving features. You are correct, the Bluetooth goes to sleep after a period of inactivity. This happens with the controllers as well, they shut down after a while. The PS3IRs take about a second to wake up, and during this period the commands are queued up. Then they are executed in an avalanche.

The Power Off macro on the new products has a command BEFORE the PS key to deal with this situation. The latest firmware version of the PRO does as well. We could update the firmware on your PRO to the latest version, but you might need to send it in.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline Wurstsemmel

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:10:42 AM »
hello,

I have got the same problem with my PS3-IR Pro and the slimPS3. I have updated my IR-Pro with you your update tool and the latest firmware last week but the PS3slim does not switch of by my harmony 1000.
Power On with the harmony is only OK if I un-plugged the IR-Pro and after 1 sec. reconnect it by USB.

With my old PS3 everything works fine.

What should I do to fix this problem?

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »
hello,

I have got the same problem with my PS3-IR Pro and the slimPS3. I have updated my IR-Pro with you your update tool and the latest firmware last week but the PS3slim does not switch of by my harmony 1000.
Power On with the harmony is only OK if I un-plugged the IR-Pro and after 1 sec. reconnect it by USB.

Are you saying that you are using FW 1.9 with the same issues?

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
We did a little detective work of our own.

The PS3 Slim has "improved" power saving features. You are correct, the Bluetooth goes to sleep after a period of inactivity. This happens with the controllers as well, they shut down after a while. The PS3IRs take about a second to wake up, and during this period the commands are queued up. Then they are executed in an avalanche.

The Power Off macro on the new products has a command BEFORE the PS key to deal with this situation. The latest firmware version of the PRO does as well. We could update the firmware on your PRO to the latest version, but you might need to send it in.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.
Romeo,
Well I updated to 1.09 at home here and I will see how it works. If it's a no go, how is that supply of 500's. I know it says low, but how low is low?

Ben

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:58:13 AM »
FW 1.9 doesn't help. The BT sync is still lost, and doesn't resume fast enough to catch the shutdown sequence. The power off macro needs to have a PS signal, followed by an off sequence 1.2 to 2 seconds later. So it looks like the PRO firmware may need to be updated. How confident are you that the 500 shuts down the slim with no issues? I just don't want to purchase a device that runs into the same errors.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »
I've verified that the 500 will power off the PS3 Slim even after an hour of inactivity.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline Wurstsemmel

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 06:15:58 AM »
hello,

Are you saying that you are using FW 1.9 with the same issues?

Yes, I have updated my PS3 IR Pro last week with the current Firmware from you website.
Even if I have reconnected the USB cable from the PS3-IR PRO and activate the powerOn on my Harmony, it will works fine. But if I donīt reconnect the USB cable after using powerOn-Activity, the PS§ IR-PRO do nothing.

So, what can I do to fix this problem.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »
We will have a new firmware version for the PRO that will address these issues.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline Wurstsemmel

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 05:47:22 AM »

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

:D sounds good. Can you submit when it would be available?

thanks

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »
How about now?  ;D

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
How about now?  ;D

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.
thanks sorry i didn't pay attention all weekend. Could have been testing that out for you. I will be sure to play around with it tonight some when I get home. I was looking forward to purchasing the 500, but me thinks the wife will like this idea better. Hope it works. If it does, you guys rock. Even without the update, I have made myself press a single button on the harmony remote to wake up the PRO sync before powering off since we last spoke and I can tell you, that it hasn't once given me an issue.

EDIT: @7:47 pm PST updated the firmware, will give it a test run tonight when playing the PS3.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:48:22 PM by dogdoctor »

Offline Wurstsemmel

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 02:27:54 AM »

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

:D sounds good. Can you submit when it would be available?

thanks

hello,

now i have updatedthe PS3 IR Pro with the current firmware 1.11. Now my PS3 slim switch on and off perfectly.

But After the PS3 slim switched ON, no button of my Harmony Remote 1000 will work. For exaple the signal for play button is send to PS3 IR PRO but your hardware do nothing. Now when I have unplugged and replugged the powercable of the PS3 IR PRO all buttons on the PS3 macro works fine.

Is there a second bug in your software?

Offline dogdoctor

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 04:10:44 AM »
Update went very smooth and the programmed in delay is fantastic. Thanks a million for this update. If anything else arises I will let you guys know. Thanks for putting out a PS3 SLIM specific firmware update for the pro.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »
Herr Sausage Roll,

There is no bug in the firmware. I believe the issue is with the command you are using to power on the PS3. It should be the PS Key command. The PRO has an internal variable that keeps track of what the PS3 power status should be.

When the Discrete Off command is sent, the PRO will think the PS3 is off until the PS Key command is sent. Otherwise the PRO will think the PS3 is still off, so it won't transmit any commands. By powering off and then on the PRO, you are resetting the internal variable, so all commands will work again.

Mit freunlichen gruessen,
Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.