Author Topic: One direction pad press = four moves  (Read 1025 times)

Offline atmarosi

One direction pad press = four moves
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:30:04 PM »
So i was running into this issue with IR2BT, so i said screw it i'll get something better.

Just got my PS3IR-1000, added to my Harmony 890, still getting four moves per d-pad press.

I've played with the repeats, inter-key delay, and even taught the remote in raw...still not working correctly.

What am I missing?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: One direction pad press = four moves
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
Are you using the Logitech RF Extender?

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline atmarosi

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »
Yes, and assigning an ir port.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 02:35:18 PM »
That's where the repeats are coming from. You will find that they only happen at certain ranges. We have an RF Adapter here in the lab, and have verified that the adapter actually sends up to eleven key repeats at certain ranges. So it's not the 1000, and it probably wasn't the other device you had.

To clarify, the repeats are not caused by the 1000 or any other infrared to Bluetooth converter we've tested. Even with the Logitech PS3 Adapter, the RF extender causes key repeats.

One solution would be to play with the RF placement and find a position/range where you won't experience key repeats.

Another solution would be to buy an RF extender that actually works... :)

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline atmarosi

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »
Weak....
Is this something that harmony might be able to tweak from their end?   My denon doesn't get repeats...?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »
There are a number of options to fix this, and we've looked at ways of fixing this annoying issue. However, there is no clean way to do it, and we'd rather not have firmware that's held together with toothpicks and rubber bands. Bottom line: the eleven repeats I mentioned are just long enough to trigger the PS3 repeat function, so you could either eliminate the repeats (Logitech) or change the time it takes the PS3 to trigger the repeat function (Sony).

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline atmarosi

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »
This must be a different repeat than the one the harmony software lets you configure?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »
Yes, it is.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 05:14:20 PM »
It looks like the Logitech link uses a key down/key up method. Sometimes the key up doesn't make it accross the RF link. However, after a timeout, the key up is sent again. Unfortunately, this sends 11 repeats in that time. This is enough to cause the PS3 to go into repeat mode. This only effects keys that repeat such as the arrow keys. When I tried to create a workaround in our firmware, I determined that the Logitech link had several issues. So I couldn't create a clean and robust way to cover up the bad behavior. Depending on the installation environement, this problem could occur even within 10ft or so, which I found surprising. Perhaps their RF link does not coexist well with Bluetooth. I can't imagine Logitech would market something that only works at 10 feet or so.

Offline atmarosi

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »
I had Logitech remove the repeats (the ones that you can't modify in the software), and it works fine now.  However, if you press it the d-pad twice in one direction quickly; it will move once.  So now you just have to press it with a slight pause in between button presses.  According to Logitech - there is no middle ground when it comes to a solution.  Either it's this way or scrolling 4 times with one button press :)

Amazing product.....