Author Topic: Wii  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Shaggy29

Wii
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:01:24 PM »
Mike,

Any interest in any products for Wii?  I would really be interested in a sensor for a home theater environment - there are products on the market but there needs to be a better solution.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:53:54 PM by Shaggy29 »

Offline Broadbandboer

Re: Wii
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »
Excellent idea.

I'll be interested

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
Could somebody explain what is needed?

Offline Shaggy29

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:26:55 PM »
The Wii comes with an IR sensor device that is cabled to the unit.  The cable is very thin, about 20' long and the connector is not a standard looking cable.  I would like to see a replacement device that can be connected via Cat5 or similar cable so we can still use a Wii in a media room where the equipment rack is located in the back of the room or something.  Maybe up to 50' away would be a decent cable run distance.  There are wireless versions available but then you have to remember to turn it off and the batteries do not last very long.  I have found several threads with people experiementing but when it comes down to understanding the explainations of the innerworkings I get lost rather quickly.

Couple of ideas:

If distance is limited because of power being sent from the Wii over the factory connection maybe use a pair from the Cat5 and send power from some sort of device on the equipment end.

The sensor could be connected by a female C5e jack on the end or in the back - or it could just be a phoenix connector - does not matter unless there is a signal requirement that would need the pairs to be maintained to the connector.

Either way I think there is a niche for this sort of device - I do know lots of people have been playing around with it.  I have not looked recently at any of the threads because I have decided to wait until someone comes to market with a working solution.

Offline Anderzander

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
I'd be interested in your pro device throwing out bluetooth commands for the wii.

I adapted the connecter on my wii bar to run from a battery box, which I mount behind the TV. At some point I will buy a small transformer, that outputs to the required voltage (forgotten what it is but its written on the back of the wii) - and that will be it then.

I think this may be a simple DIY job?

Offline Boinger

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:41:14 AM »
Bluetooth "On" and "Off" commands would certainly tidy up Wii operation.

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:56:07 AM »
I am looking into it. I think it will take a separate device for the wii.

Offline sledhead1

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
on off would be sweet

Offline knight

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »
Hi!

As there been any new development concerning this?

Thank you!

Nick

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »
I looked into it and it seems possible with a different bluetooth firmware image. However, I am not convinced there is enough interest to pay for the R&D time at this point. It would cost big bucks to implement.

Mike

Offline bugmenot

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
I would pay for this FW update for the PS3IR-500! PS3 and Wii requiring different devices would be unfortunate, but I would pay to upgrade. Even perhaps a new device that supports both. Really just want to avoid clutter.

I don't believe there is any comparable solution in the market, and the Wii is a very strong platform. Great potential there.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:41 PM »
Unlike most politicians, Bluetooth connections are monogamous. Only one device can be paired at a time. So this eliminates having a single device to work both the PS3 and the Wii.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.