Author Topic: USB Error in PS3IR-500 Utility  (Read 1018 times)

Offline rollotomasi

USB Error in PS3IR-500 Utility
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »
My PS3IR-500 isn't working. I have a pronto TSU-9800 with the Schmartz PS3 codes in the database. I tried Internal and External IR settings. I paired the device in the PS3 Accessory settings, it says it found 1 bluetooth device with address 7 (I'm not sure if this is the PS3 controller or the Schmartz piece.) When I load the PS3IR-500 utility v1.0, it says in Red, "USB Error - Please Connect Device." I'm using the factory usb cable that came with the PS3IR-500, also I tried another USB cable. Could I have a defective unit?

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: USB Error in PS3IR-500 Utility
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »
Anything is possible.

Try launching the utility before plugging in the 500, then try plugging in the 500 then launching the utility. When you plug in the 500 into your PC, it should report finding new hardware and install drivers for it. Make sure you insert the mini-B cable fully into the 500.

What operating system are you using?
Does the 500 react to IR commands from your remote? Is the status LED blinking?

If you still can't get it working, please contact support@schmartz.com for assistance.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline prmusic

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:36:29 AM »
Hi,

I have the same issue. However first it says that the device is connected. After a short while it says USB error
but than I am getting a popup telling me that the firmware needs to be updated.
I didn't tried it because I am fearing that it fails because it says USB error.

Any advice?

I am using WinXP (SP3) with the utility. Vista HP (64bit) seems to have problems with it.
The PS§IR-500 is working properly with the PS3 and my Pronto.

thanks
prmusic
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:46:22 AM by prmusic »

Offline prmusic

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:27:44 AM »
Hi All.

Here is an update.
This time I tried my Laptop to check it. It runs with WinXP (SP2). When connecting the PS3IR-500 first and starting the utility afterwards the utility freezes.
Starting the utility first and connecting the PS3IR afterwards it worked.
This time the utility says the firmware is up to date.

prmusic

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline ps3taker

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »
I unfortunately get this error too.

I tried it both on Windows Vista and Windows XP SP3.
Both when connecting it before and after running the utility.
Restarted the PCs too and still no luck.

Please help - I have no other PCs available and bought PS3IR-500 back in August from remoteshoppe.com but only trying to install it now and suspect it may need a firmware update but don't know how to achieve that without connection to a PC.

Utility version is V1.1 and running from unzipped ps3ir500util_V0101. Do I need to ask support for a previous version of the utility to do firmware update from that first if it connects with that?

Kind regards
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:39:27 PM by ps3taker »

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »
Ps3taker,

Does the 500 work? Does the PC recognize the 500 when you plug it in?

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz, Inc.

Offline ps3taker

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
PS3IR-500 works with PS3 for most of the buttons but misses "Start", "Select" and "PS".

PS3IR-500 connects to PC and recognises itself successfully as ready for use as HID/USB Human Interface device and the red light on it is on. I can uninstall it under devices management and on reconnections it installs without any problem again and both windows XP SP3 and Vista declare it ready again.

However the utility always gives the USB error above regardless of order of starting it before or after connecting the PS3IR-500.

Kind regards and happy new year

Offline ehtamgnie

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 10:36:56 PM »
Hi,

I am experiencing similar issues.  I received the PS3IT-500 today and followed the instructions to set it up with the PS3.  I connected the USB adapter to my TiVo Series 3 for power and was able to successfully synch the bluetooth in the PS3IR-500 and my PS3 (1st generation 80GB).  I successfully turned ON and OFF the PS3 with my Harmony remote.  However, I was unable to issue any other commands through the Harmony remote successfully.  The only valid keys appear to be ON & OFF, and the Triangle, Circle, Square, X buttons.  I cannot navigate through the XMB at all.  Note:  I did add the device to my Harmony as "Game Console with DVD > Schmartz > PS3IR-500" and it was recognized successfully.

I attempted to connect the PS3IR-500 to my PC running Windows XP SP3 in order to change the Code Set from the default, but I am unsuccessful since the Utility always freezes whenever I action something.  If I start the utility, I receive the error "USB Error - Please connect the drive" so I connect the PS3IR-500 and the utility freezes and I have to hard kill the application. If I leave the PS3IR-500 connected and start the utility, I receive the message "Device Connected"; however, if I hover over any button on the utility interface, the application freezes and I have to hard kill the application again.

I'm out of ideas at this point, please advise what I should do next.

Thanks
Scott