Author Topic: Generic IR->GPIO or IR->RS232  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Quazar

Generic IR->GPIO or IR->RS232
« on: August 07, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »
Hey,
I'd like to see a small box (similar to the PS3IR-PRO in size/cost) that receives IR commands and can control GPIO lines, or possibly drive RS232 signals.  Ideally: a pair of RS232 ports, 4 TTL I/O lines, and 4 output-only lines that could directly drive small relays.  Like the PS3IR-PRO, it would have an IR receiver, programming/power port, and hardwired IR input.

Why?  For example, I've got a powered screen that I'd like to control via IR (no, I didn't spring for that option when I bought it).  My projector has an RS-232 input that provides discrete on/off control, which would be handy to drive in conjunction with the screen.

This box could have some basic built-in behaviors, but to be really useful you'd need some way to program what actions to take when an IR command is received.  This could be coded as XML, or just a table of code/action pairs, where the action looks something like:
Code: [Select]
TX1(21 89 01 50 57 31 0A); IO1=1; Wait(15000); IO1=0;
This action sends the "turn on" sequence for my projector via the 1st serial port, then starts the screen coming down, then waits 15s, then turns off the power to the screen.

The scripting language could be enhanced to accept inputs from the IO lines and RS232.  With that, you could do things like place light sensors over the LEDs of equipment and use that data to modify the script behavior.  Obviously, this could be taken to the extreme and start to look like a real programming language, but I'm guessing a significant number of interesting problems could be solved with a pretty simple table-like spec file.

There would need to be a tool that "compiles" that table into something that can be downloaded to the box.

I suspect folks would come up for all kinds of uses for something like this.  I'd buy at least two of these  ;D
 - Dean

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: Generic IR->GPIO or IR->RS232
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »
Thanks for the input. It sounds like something we could do in the near future. Actually I was planning on adding these features to the existing product and offering it as a new product at around $200. But a stand-alone unit may make sense as well.

Offline Quazar

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »
Thats good to hear.  I'm not sure what capabilities the expansion port on the PS3IR-PRO has, but perhaps you could just make an add-on box that plugs into the 'PRO?

Cheers,
 - Dean

Offline nicscott01

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »
I don't know much about the Sony Bluetooth protocol, but if it does send feedback after a command is received, it would be cool to have an RS-232 based interface that would handle the 2-way communication.  I'm thinking the Bluetooth protocol is 1-way, though.

Or if there was a way to control the PS3 via its Ethernet connection...

Offline AvNerd

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
I would absolutely LOVE some sort of 2 way control solution for the PS3. Would it be possible to have a standalone 9-pin RS-232 to BT module?

Offline AvNerd

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
I don't know much about the Sony Bluetooth protocol, but if it does send feedback after a command is received, it would be cool to have an RS-232 based interface that would handle the 2-way communication.  I'm thinking the Bluetooth protocol is 1-way, though.

Or if there was a way to control the PS3 via its Ethernet connection...

naw think about it, for pairing it has to be 2 way right?

Offline AvNerd

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:36:15 PM »
Hey,
I'd like to see a small box (similar to the PS3IR-PRO in size/cost) that receives IR commands and can control GPIO lines, or possibly drive RS232 signals.  Ideally: a pair of RS232 ports, 4 TTL I/O lines, and 4 output-only lines that could directly drive small relays.  Like the PS3IR-PRO, it would have an IR receiver, programming/power port, and hardwired IR input.

Why?  For example, I've got a powered screen that I'd like to control via IR (no, I didn't spring for that option when I bought it).  My projector has an RS-232 input that provides discrete on/off control, which would be handy to drive in conjunction with the screen.

This box could have some basic built-in behaviors, but to be really useful you'd need some way to program what actions to take when an IR command is received.  This could be coded as XML, or just a table of code/action pairs, where the action looks something like:
Code: [Select]
TX1(21 89 01 50 57 31 0A); IO1=1; Wait(15000); IO1=0;
This action sends the "turn on" sequence for my projector via the 1st serial port, then starts the screen coming down, then waits 15s, then turns off the power to the screen.

The scripting language could be enhanced to accept inputs from the IO lines and RS232.  With that, you could do things like place light sensors over the LEDs of equipment and use that data to modify the script behavior.  Obviously, this could be taken to the extreme and start to look like a real programming language, but I'm guessing a significant number of interesting problems could be solved with a pretty simple table-like spec file.

There would need to be a tool that "compiles" that table into something that can be downloaded to the box.

I suspect folks would come up for all kinds of uses for something like this.  I'd buy at least two of these  ;D
 - Dean

look at an AMX NI2100,

CONTROL PORTS

4 IR / Serial Output Ports
4 Digital I/O ports
4 Relays
3 Configurable RS-232 / RS-422 / RS-485 Serial ports
2 Communication Networks: AxLink and Ethernet (TCP/IP)
Optional ICSNet support can be added at time of order or in the field

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
Other than the pairing process, there is no feedback path from the PS3. So a two way communications port wouldn't do much good. The only thing that would be interesting is the power state. However, once the PRO has that information, it would locally make use of the info. No need to put the remote in the loop.