Author Topic: Can't pair with a new PS3  (Read 2545 times)

Offline cpeds

Can't pair with a new PS3
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:49:10 AM »
I have had my PS3IR-PRO working for years.  Recently my PS3 died and I had to get a new one.  I can't get the PS3IR-PRO to pair with the PS3.  I go to the screen that tells me to press both the START and END buttons, plug the PS3IR-PRO into the same USB cable I have always used, and press and hold the 0 button on the same remote I've always used.  Nothing happens.  The screen remains the same.  When I exit that screen with the game controller, the remote is still not working.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline cpeds

Re: Can't pair with a new PS3
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
A little more information...just in case it matters...  My old PS3 was one of the old thick ones, my new PS3 is much thinner.

Offline lrowell2131

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »
The PS3IR-PRO supports the "old" PS3 and the new PS3 "slim".  The pairing procedure you describe is accurate except for a minor detail.  You only have to press the digit "0" once.  Holding the key down is not required.  I have not tried the procedure holding the key so I can't say for sure that is causing the problem.  If you happen to own a Sony BT remote, you could pair that remote (to verify the pairing procedure is operating properly) and then repeat the PS3IR-PRO pairing. 

There are no indicators on the IR-PRO to verify that the device is powered up.  Verify that the USB is plugged into a port that is powered (NOT a PS3 port).  You described the procedure correctly:
1) Navigate to the PS3 "Register BD Remote" screen.
2) Unplug and replug the IR-PRO power.
3) Press the digit "0" on the remote (pointing at the IR-PRO) within 10 seconds.  Registration usually takes < 30 seconds.

I believe if the PRO is registered to that PS3 then you will so no changes in the "register" screen - but in that case, your remote should operate the PS3 through the PRO.

Offline cpeds

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I first tried just pressing the 0, but that didn't work.  Then I read somewhere that someone had gotten it to work holding the 0, but that didn't work for me either.

I'm using the same USB cable and power source that I have been using for years.  I'm using the same remote.  Unfortunately, I don't have a Sony remote, so I can't test that.

Offline lrowell2131

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »
At this point I think I want to ask for the unit to be returned to us for servicing.  The IR-PRO has a lifetime warranty so we will either repair it or replace it.  Use the Round Rock address found on the schmartz.com website under the "contact us" link.  I will update the unit to the latest level and fully test it.

Be sure to include a correct mailing address...

Lynn Rowell
Schmartz Support

Offline cpeds

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize that it came with a lifetime warrenty.  Thank you for the offer, but I've found the problem.  It appears that at the same time my PS3 died, so did the 120V to USB adapter I was using for the PS3IR-PRO.  Perhaps there was a power spike.  Since the PS3IR-PRO doesn't have any sort of power indicator I didn't realize the problem.  I have replaced the 120V->USB adapter and the PS3IR-PRO works fine now.