Author Topic: Cannot get power off to work  (Read 1117 times)

Offline buyitjody

Cannot get power off to work
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »
I have a URC MX-850.  All is working on my remote except the Off.  I just tried to teach my remote with your super-slick utility.  I put my remote within 5 inches of the PS3IR-1000.  I selected the 'off' button on the URC software for my PS3 page and then pressed the 'learn' option at the top of the software page.  It said 'learning...'.  I then pressed 'off' on the PS3IR-1000 virtual remote a couple times (red light would blink once on PS3IR-1000).  The word 'learning...' went off on the URC software screen.  I then put everything back.  I pick up my URC remote and press the 'on' button for the PS3.  PS3 comes on.  I then push the 'off' button.  All it does is act like I pressed the PS button.  I did test the virtual remote and it would indeed turn off my PS3.  I'm really not sure what else to do.  Any suggestions?  The off used to work before I upgraded to the PS3IR-1000.

Note: I did try to put in code 648 for my URC remote and it does not exist.  I don't know why.  I put: Device: PS3, IR Device: AUX, Code: I type in 648 and the 'save' button will not allow me to press it.

Offline rdenghel

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: Cannot get power off to work
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
There are couple of things to consider:

Please make sure you update your remote after learning the "Power Off" code.  This is an essential step.  Also, please make sure you have the latest URC database installed on your computer.  We have verified with URC and all the codes in their database for code 648 are correct.  They can assist you with programming your remote with code 648.

Romeo Denghel
Schmartz Support

Offline buyitjody

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
I did update my remote after learning the "Power off" code.  Since my remote is the MX-850, but rebranded by another company, I'm thinking maybe the software download on the other company's website might be outdated (when I click the 'live update' on the software, it says it is updated").  I just wrote URC asking for assitance with this.  Hopefully they will get back with me over the next few days.  It's just so odd that just this one function won't work, especially since it will with the virtual remote (thus making it so I know it is not my PS3IR-1000 unit).

Offline buyitjody

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »
I thought I would post my results in case someone else ever encounters this same issue.  Just to give background...
I had an earlier version of a schmartz controller.  I had a URC remote (MX-800) that started having problems with buttons, so I needed to replace it.  It did have all the PS3 stuff programmed.  I replaced with identical remote that was their new model, URC MX-850.  I put all the old programming of the MX-800 into my MX-850.  I then decided to upgrade my schmartz device to the PS3IR-1000.  When I received it, I wanted to make sure I had all the capabilities available for a remote for the PS3, so I followed the directions for the URC remote.  However, I could not find the code 648 for the PS3 as stated by schmatrz (and as you can see in one of the above posts, they did verify with URC that it was still the code).  I wrote URC, but never heard back from them.  My URC MX-850 programming software does say it is updated to the most current version, yet there is still no 648 code available.  So, I just kept the old programming, but found the "off" no longer worked after I got the PS3IR-1000.

In the meantime, the 'On' stopped working.  Hmmmm...what to do.  I did try to 'teach' my remote with the PS3IR-1000 virtual remote, but that did not work.

Today I sat down to see if I could do the teaching again since URC was not responding to my email.  This time, I plugged the PS3IR-1000 into my computer and on the utility software for it, I changed the Power Sensing to "Enabled" since I was going to have the device plugged into my PS3 appropriately.  I then proceeded to teach both the ON and OFF button on my URC MX-850 with the virtual remote of the PS3IR-1000.  This time they took!!  I then downloaded the newly learned buttons to my URC remote and crossed my fingers that it would actually work.  I reattached the PS3IR-1000 to the USB plug and the USB sensing cable that goes to my PS3.  Low and behold, when I pressed the ON button for the PS3 on my URC remote, it came on!!!  I then pressed the OFF button for the PS3 on my URC remote, and it worked, too!!!

I don't know if changing the power sensing to 'enabled' made the difference or what, but that seemed to be the case for my situation.

I'm still baffled as to why I cannot find the 648 code in the URC software.  There is a PS3 option, but the code is 554 and does not have a lot of the functions in the menus for the PS3 (like 'eject' or the color buttons).  I'll still poke around to see if I can find it, but it just doesn't seem to be there for me.  So odd!!  For now, the major issue of 'on' and 'off' are now fixed through teaching my remote.  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:13:28 PM by buyitjody »