Author Topic: Device won't work at PC power on without replugging  (Read 1147 times)

Offline jaynabonne

Device won't work at PC power on without replugging
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »
I had seen a topic like this in another thread, but it was old and a bit buried, so I thought I'd post a new one.

Basically, when I power my PC on, I can't use the PS3IR-1000 with the software utilities until I unplug it and replug it, despite the fact that Windows knows it's there (it shows up in Device Manager), and the light on the device is on. This is a bit of a vulnerable thing for me because I'm trying to get a remote environment set up, where I might not be on the same coast or even in the same country with the PS3. Clearly, I can't take a flight back home just to replug a USB cable. :) I can hope that my PC will maintain power, but stuff happens (power failures, etc).

I have tried this on two different computers, one a Dell desktop PC with Windows Vista Ultimate (SP2), and the other a Dell laptop with Windows XP Professional (SP3). Both exhibit the problem.

The problem I see is that the utilities come up with the red bar on the bottom saying "Please connect your PS3IR-1000", and on both systems, the apps become "not responding". This is a different state from when the device is simply not plugged in. In that case, I still get the red bar and the message, but the apps are responsive. In fact, when I boot up with the device plugged in and the utility apps go unresponsive, if I unplug the device at that point, then the apps become responsive again. So they are doing *something* with the device. Again, it shows up in Device Manager, so even Windows knows about it.

I made some attempts to find a workaround for this. My thought was: can I simulate a USB disconnect and reconnect? I was able to do that eventually, but it didn't solve the problem. I'll describe that because it might provide some clues as to what's going on.

I found a Microsoft utility called "devcon". (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272) With this tool, I can remove and rescan USB devices, based on name (using "devcon remove xxxxxx" and then "devcon rescan").

What I found is that if a utility app is running, then devcon will say "remove at reboot", since it is not able to actually remove the device at the time. And the device (obviously) is not removed. If a utility app is *not* running, then the device is removed directly. To my programmer brain, this means the utility app does indeed have the device opened, and Windows/devcon is not able to remove it at that time because it's "busy". So... the utility app has found the device. Why does it think it's not plugged in then?

Well, perhaps it's not a question of it not knowing the device isn't plugged in. Perhaps the app finds the device and attempts to talk to it, but something in the communication protocol is going awry, and the app ends up hanging. If the device is unplugged, then the app stops trying to communicate and becomes responsive again, and when the device is replugged, everyone is happy.

I don't know if this a utility app issue or a firmware issue, but it's a definite issue. There is clearly a difference in state between the device being already plugged in at boot time and the device being plugged in post-boot.

When I get devcon to remove the device, the utility app becomes responsive again. So I have, in effect, removed the device. And when I do "devcon rescan", I see the little windows popping up saying it's installing my device. And then it shows up in Device Manager again. But the utility apps still don't work. Something about physically plugging it in is putting things in a different state.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this (even a workaround I can do) will be much appreciated. Otherwise, I may need to look for another solution.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:25:00 PM by jaynabonne »

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
Re: Device won't work at PC power on without replugging
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »
That's great input. Thanks!

This only affects the PC control mode and so far, only a handful of customers have bothered to use the PC remote feature. Mostly we have had customers wanting to use the PS3 with Dragon Speak since they don't have the use of their hands. And they have a similar issue with it not being convenient or even possible to unplug and re-plug the device after a reboot. It's high time we figure this out as we certainly wish to properly support the PC remote control mode. Especially if it can make someones life a bit better.

I will make it a priority to look into it. It has to do with the fact that I have to give up on USB enumeration after a time since the main usage is when the device is plugged into a USB power supply so no host is present. It should be something simple.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
Here is a a new version [V1.8] of the Utility that fixes this issue. We will officially release it after field testing it. Please try it out and let us know what you think!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:15:15 PM by MMuecke »

Offline jaynabonne

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
It works beautifully! Thank you so much. You made my day. I was contemplating violating a USB hub to see if I could get it to power up and down with the AC (since I have a network-controlled switch), so this arrived in just the nick of time. My hub is breathing a sigh of relief.

Anyway, thanks again. You've got me sold. This was the perfect solution for my problem, both the product and this fix.

(I assume you'll be updating the kvc program as well?  ;) )

- Jay

Offline MMuecke

• Administrator
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
Yes here it is.

Of course, you must use the utility to update the firmware to V1.8 first. in order to use it.
Again, thanks for your feedback!

Mike
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:13:00 AM by MMuecke »